Search This Blog

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Utilizing Technology - Playing Tests for the 21st Century

I'm a believer in playing tests.  I don't do practice cards, so playing tests are used to motivate students to work and practice.  Normally on playing test days (every 2 weeks) I listen to 40-50 students in 45 minutes or less.  As I listen I frantically jot down comments on my rubric and students are given an opportunity to reflect, improve, and re-take any playing test for a better score.  I have noticed that some students don't read my comments and don't make needed changes to improve their playing.  I would like students to take on more responsibility for their learning and growth.  This year I will be implement a new kind of playing test which will help students take ownership for their playing.

Here's how it's going to work:

I will be using google classroom with each of my classes this year.  Students will need a google classroom account AND a Seesaw.com account.   SeeSaw is great because it can be accessed on any device.  There is a SeeSaw app for smart phones...but if students don't have a phone they can use computers with webcams or chomebooks.

I will assign playing tests on google classroom with specific directions.  Students receive a link to a google form which contains instructions for the test as well as a rubric where students will grade THEMSELVES.  Students will be instructed to grade themselves carefully.  They must PROVE and justify their grade by performing their playing test in SeeSaw.  I can then review any video and see if I agree with the rubric students submit.   The great thing about SeeSaw is that it creates a portfolio so students can go back and review any playing test.  They can see their progress throughout the year.

Here is a link to a sample playing test so you can see how it works:

BEGINNING ORCHESTRA: PLAYING TEST 1

Here are some screen shots:










No comments:

Post a Comment