Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

10x Perfect Practice Cards

In a previous post, I mentioned that I do not like to require practice cards for my orchestra classes because I want students to choose to practice on their own.  Also, I feel practice cards are much more effective when they are used less frequently.  There are times when I do need students to practice our concert music very carefully in order to be ready for our concerts  Every now and then, I give students the 10x Perfect Practice assignment.  I assign specific measures (very small chunks) from our concert music and students are required to play those measures perfectly 10 times every day.  Sometimes, I have sectionals and allow students to accomplish some of this during class time.  This works great for getting students to work on a specific small section of music and getting quick results from their practicing.   Students learn that it's not hard or time-intensive to practice a few measures 10 times and it is motivating when they sense their own progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment