Search This Blog

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Last minute April Fools Rehearsal plans

 


I haven't had to do many  'April Fools' rehearsals because this prank day often falls on Spring Break in my district.  This year is different.  April Fools Day falls on the last day of school before Spring Break begins...and it's on a Friday.  There is no chance I'll be doing a normal rehearsal.  

Last year for April Fools, I set up my orchestra backwards and taught my class in a special language I can speak called 'op' language.  It was hilarious....and I learned a ton of my teaching is non-verbal.  It was amazing how much my students were able to understand without really knowing the words I was speaking.

This year I've turned a popular game made by 'Exploding Kittens' called 'THROW THROW BURRITO EXTREME' into an orchestra rehearsal game.  I'll be using the huge inflatable burritos that come with the game, along with just a few of the cards.  Here's how I've morphed the game to be used in my class:

1. I'll divide the class into 2 teams...even instrumentation on both sides.  Each team will take turns choosing a card and both teams must compete the challenge on the card.  The team who completes the challenge the best will get a point.  (I'll be the judge - and since I'm doing this on April Fools, there are really no solid judging rules.) The team with the most points wins.



2.  Cards/Challenges:  (I'll be having students complete challenges using selections from our concert repertoire)
Floaty Goaty: Students must perform while balancing a goal on their heads. (I'm using small stuffed animal goats. You can have them balance anything - even a piece of paper.)
Barky Sharky: Students perform concert music with every note as a down bow - like a 'bark'
Licky Chicky: Students perform rhythms using party blowers.
Meow Cow: Students perform their music by singing 'meow' or 'moo'
Goth Sloth: Student must perform 1/2 speed.
Jelly Jelly: Students must try to stay together with very flowing/creative/uneven conducting
Logger Dogger: Both teams perform a section of music. The team with the fewest mistakes wins.
Burrito Duel: All students (both groups) perform a section of music.  The first group begins by playing one measure...the 2nd group plays the next measure...the first group plays the 3rd measure, etc.  The group who messes up first loses the duel.   (I'll be letting students (one from each team) throw the huge burritos at each other in the hallway at the end for a real burrito duel - this makes a funny bonus round)



This game is probably too crazy for some people out there... but my middle schoolers will love it and it's perfect for a Friday - before Spring Break - April Fools Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment