Search This Blog

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Playing test and assessments rubrics


 

I have tried many different ways to assess students.  I personally don't use practice cards use home practice time as part of my students' grades.  Instead, I grade written assignments (bellwork and other written activities that reinforce music theory, note-reading, rhythm, etc.) and playing tests where students demonstrate specific playing skills.  Students are encouraged to re-take playing tests as needed as they strive to master playing skills.  

Playing tests in my classroom used to be very time intensive.  I would listen to every student play a passage and grade each one using a rubric and write comments directly to each student.  While waiting for their turn to play, students would complete a lengthy written assignment, which would take me a very long time to grade later on.  One day after a playing test, I noticed my classroom garbage can overflowing with discarded playing test forms.  The grades, the comments...all trash.  I realized my playing tests were not super effective for student reflection and growth.   Since then, I have made some small changes in an effort to make playing tests more useful for me and my students.  This includes moving towards standards based playing tests where students are working to reach a pre-determined level of mastery.    Here is how I am currently running playing test assessments:

1. I choose a specific skill or passage and keep it simple and short.  I used to grade on everything: bowing, rhythm, intonation, notes, dynamics, bow hold, position.  I now choose the top skills I want students to focus on and tailor my rubric to match.  That means I don't always use the same rubric.  I use a variety of rubrics to fit the requirements of my learning targets.

2. I give students a pre-assessment.  I want students to know how to assess themselves and each other.  The grade doesn't always have to come from me.   Students perform a pre-test for their stand partners and fill out the rubric.  Students are able to support and help each other as they reflect on how to improve.  It only takes about 5 minutes for my class to complete a pre-test and grade each other.  Students then spend approx. 5 minutes writing down answers to a few questions: 1. Do you agree with the score your stand partner gave you?  2.  What do you still need to work on?

3. Based on pre-test results, I help the class as much as possible to master the necessary skills for the playing test.  Sometimes, I create specialized practice worksheets to help students break down passages to practice slowly and carefully.

4. Using the same rubric as the pre-test, I listen to every student individually.  Because playing test passages are short and specific, this does not take too much time.  I give students the rubric with their scores right after they play and students answer a few questions to reflect of their playing.  Students who have anxiety are allowed to submit their test online.  While students are waiting their turn, they work on other essential music skills.  Not on a long boring worksheet, though.  They do activities on chromebooks, experiment with composition, work on listening skills, or practice notereading/rhythm. 

5. Sometimes I do something totally different than a playing test and have students track their skills throughout one rehearsal or even one week of rehearsal.  Variety is good.  

Here are a few sample rubrics:

This rubric is for students to check themselves every day for accurate posture, bow hold, position, and left hand placement.  The idea is for students to be responsible for mastering these skills throughout one week of rehearsal.


Pre-Assessment:

Playing Test Assessment:

Notes/Intonation Rubric:




Bowing Rubric:


Term 1: Mid-Term Rubric - student self-assessment:










No comments:

Post a Comment