Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2020

Work on position and release of tension in string playing


Sometimes you need an activity outside of the norm.  Something students won't expect...something that maintains interest and intrigue.  I saw this game called Goat Yoga and thought it would be fun to incorporate the idea into my classroom. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kikkerland-Goat-Yoga-Party-Game/dp/B07X3XMLSR/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=goat+yoga&qid=1580778791&sr=8-1



I had been wanted to revisit correct position to help students fix minor issues and help them learn to play without squeezing their thumbs.  I did this little 'Instrument Yoga' activity with all grades I teach (7-12) and they all LOVED it.  It was a great way to mix up the regular routine and review position without it seeming too basic.



For the mini-lesson on position review and release of tension, I showed a minute of so of this video:


I pointed out to students that the people doing yoga had to maintain position and balance even when baby goats where jumping all over them.

I then turned out this video for some background yoga music and told students we were going to do some instrument yoga:


Next I used my more soothing, velvety voice to instruct students through the following routine:

  1. Place bows on your music stands.
  2. Go to rest position.  Curl your back forward like you're rolling into a ball.
  3. Plant your feet.  Grow your body upwards like a tree.  Your feet are the roots.  Sit tall on the edge of your seat with your back straight.
  4. Go to play position.  Violin/viola - place the instrument on your shoulder.  Place your left hand on your right shoulder and maintain that position while keeping instrument still.  Cello/Bass - bring your instrument to your body while maintaining your position with back straight, feet planted.  Hug your instrument.
  5. Violin/Viola, place left hand on fingerboard.  Become aware of your thumb and check thumb placement.  Feel your thumb completely relax.
  6. Cello/Bass, place left hand on fingerboard.  Place fingers in the grooves between the middle 2 strings.  Slide your forward and fingers up and down the fingerboard with a relaxed smooth motion.
  7. Violin/Viola, tap your fingers one at a time on the tapes.  Watch for the placement of the fingers. Aim for the thumb-side corner of each finger.  Check to make sure fingers hover directly above each tape.
  8. Cello/Bass, place left hand in 1st position and tap each finger on the tapes.  Watch to be sure fingers hover above tapes.  Be aware of the thumb to keep it relaxed and soft.


Also students could do bow exercises with the yoga music to work on release bow hand tension.

As I went through this exercise with students with the peaceful yoga music, I was able to walk around the classroom and make minor adjustments or help students when needed.  Super easy!

For a fun friday activity, I let my students pose and play the game I bought on Amazon - Goat Yoga.  We talked about how it's important to be able to hold and maintain posture when playing an instrument.  It's a crazy game, but my students liked it.  I had to work with my 2nds and violas for 10 mins at the high school and I let the other sections play that game while I drilled the music with the students who needed it. 

I'd like to have students create their own poses and draw them on a paper to create our own version of the game.  I have a styrofoam violin and it would be fun to use that as the object students have to balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment